Sunday, October 19, 2008

New recipe for cornbread

This is my first somewhat original recipe so Black Sarah's making me post it. Love me some chili and cornbread.

1 c stone ground corn meal
1 c flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375. Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl, set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients together. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in wet ingredients and whisk together just until blended. Pour batter into a greased 8 inch square pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until it tests done. This recipe lends itself well to substitutions, I've subbed oil for butter, milk for buttermilk, honey for sugar, etc. I usually add a big handful of frozen corn at the end and sometimes a can of diced green chilies.

1 comment:

Briggs said...

This cornbread sounds good! I just might need to sample it before I make it though! Oh, and the chili too!