Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Naptime Bribery

I've finally found something to help Audrey transition to nap time. I've been telling her for a while that if she goes to sleep with no whining and no crying we'll have a movie party with popcorn on the couch when she wakes up. We've done this for weeks with no luck, then all of a sudden, she got it! I think it helped that everytime she asked to watch tv or surf the web, I said, "Sure, hon, if you're sweet at naptime you can play--would you like that?" Three times now she has gladly jumped in bed for a chance for a popcorn party.

So I'm thrilled, right? You would think. But I really hate her watching a movie everyday--and there's no way she'd settle for a 30 minute TV show. I've tried 30 minutes of computer time but she still greatly prefers the movie/popcorn combination. Maybe I'll try and portion it out and the popcorn party will be 20 minutes or so of her favorite movie. Any other ideas?

2 comments:

Candace said...

Are you trying to get her to take an actual nap everyday? Sydni only naps about 2 or 3 times a week--but I still make her go in her room for "rest" time. I either tell her to wait until I come back and get her or I put on a cd and tell her when the music stops she can come out. It works out pretty well and on the days she doesn't sleep I put her to bed 30 minutes earlier. She might like the idea of playing in her room quietly better than having to have a nap.

Shannon Morrison said...

Good idea with the cd! But Audrey really physically needs a nap every day. Her behavior isn't majorly affected by not napping, but her night sleep is very fitful and she is up several times in these weird not-asleep-not-awake crying times. I guess she's so overtired she can't sleep!

So now where do I find a 2 1/2 hours cd??? :)